Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Council Chamber, Town Hall, Saturday Market Place, King's Lynn PE30 5DQ. View directions

Contact: Kathy Wagg 

No. Item


Apologies for Absence

To receive any apologies for absence.


An apology for absence was received from Councillor M Wilkinson.



Minutes of Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 382 KB

To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the previous meeting.


The minutes of the previous meeting held on 21 September 2023 were agreed as a correct record.



Declarations of Interest pdf icon PDF 131 KB

Please indicate if there are any interests which should be declared.  A declaration of an interest should indicate the nature of the interest (if not already declared on the Register of Interests) and the agenda item to which it relates.  If a disclosable pecuniary interest is declared, the Member should withdraw from the room whilst the matter is discussed.


These declarations apply to all Members present, whether the Member is part of the meeting, attending to speak as a local Member on an item or simply observing the meeting from the public seating area.





Councillor Kemp declared an interest as being instrumental in setting up the West Lynn Action Group to raise funds.


Councillor Sayers declared an interest as Secretary of West Lynn Action Group.



Urgent Business

To consider any business which, by reason of special circumstances, the Chairman proposes to accept as urgent under Section 100(b)(4)(b) of the Local Government Act, 1972.




There was no urgent business.



Members Present Pursuant to Standing Order 34

Members wishing to speak pursuant to Standing Order 34 should inform the Chairman of their intention to do so and on what items they wish to be heard before the meeting commences.  Any Member attending the meeting under Standing Order 34 will only be permitted to speak on those items which have been previously notified to the Chairman.




Councillor Bearshaw was present pursuant to Standing Order 34.



Chairman's Correspondence (if any)


There was no Chair’s correspondence.



Recommendations on Special Expenses Charge for King's Lynn 2024 / 2025 pdf icon PDF 158 KB

Additional documents:


Click here to view a recording of this item on You Tube


The Assistant Director Resources explained that an update on some of the figures since the report had been published was available as a supplement on Mod Gov. 


The Assistant Director, Resources reminded Members that the terms of reference for the King’s Lynn Area Consultative Committee (KLACC) described one of its roles as acting as a consultative forum, on the funding raising by, and utilisation of the King’s Lynn Special Expenses, and to offer input on priorities for this expenditure and if appropriate the level of funds to be raised which would need to be a recommendation to Cabinet


It was highlighted that any recommendations would need to be made in full consideration of the implications on the Special Expenses charge.


The Assistant Director, Resources drew the Committee’s attention to the following sections:


·         1.3 – List of services currently charged to Special Expenses.

·         1.4 – Breakdown and charges applicable for the current year for Special Expenses.

·         2 – Estimated breakdown of cost of special expense changes for King’s Lynn (estimate) 2024/2025.

·         2.3 The main movements between the special expenses charges for 2023/2024 and 2024/2025.

·         2.5 – How the Council applied a notional split of the £5 increase in council tax.

·         3 – Currently there were no proposals for new schemes for consideration.

·         £10,810 reserve in respect of Borough Council staff occupying South Lynn Community Centre and it was a decision for KLACC to consider where the funding should be directed towards in terms of its priorities.


The Chair invited the Committee to comment/ask questions, a summary of which is set out below.


Councillor Kemp commented on the due diligence of street lighting, bearing in mind economies of scale and the service being undertaken cheaper by NCC and had this  been looked at.  In response, the Assistant Director, Resources advised that she did not have the details to hand but would check with the relevant service area and respond to the Committee.


The Chair, Councillor Rust reminded the Committee that Tracy Brooker and Peter Gray had attended a previous meeting and provided an update on street lighting and advised Councillors to look at the minutes from that meeting.


Councillor Kemp asked if they were LED or Solar to save costs with the current scheme.  In response, the Assistant Director, Resources undertook to check the details and forward a response to the Committee.


Councillor Colwell referred to 1.5 and the sum of £10,810 set aside in reserves due to the occupancy of staff in South Lynn Community Centre and asked if there was a time limit on which the money could be spent.  In response, the Assistant Director, Resources explained that this money was set aside in a reserve and currently there was no time limit and added that the Council held a number of different earmarked reserves and was currently undertaking a review process to identify funding to offset against other priorities across the Council but this amount was set  ...  view the full minutes text for item 7.


Update of the provision of Accessible Play Equipment at The Walks, King's Lynn


Click here to view a recording of this item on You Tube


The Assistant Director, Health, Wellbeing and Public Protection provided an update on the provision of accessible play areas in the Walks, King’s Lynn. A summary of the key points are set out below relating to the consultation exercise:


·         A number of hard copy questionnaires completed and on-line. It was noted that in total 482 responses had been received which was a huge amount given the short timescale, around a month.

·         Vast majority of responses were on-line so the Council could be satisfied that there was a good cross-section of the community as to whether accessible play equipment should be installed at The Walks.

·         Brief headlines from responses Q4 – do you think that it is important for provision of equipment for children with additional needs – split into 5 questions and on important and very important accounted for 87% of responses which was useful information to be included on the Norfolk County Council application deadline of 6 December 2023.


The Chair, Councillor Rust informed the Committee that she had personally took copies around The Walks and spoken to a number of people and was overwhelmed with the level of support.  Some people were not from West Norfolk and provided examples of other locations where accessible play equipment had been installed.  The Chair commented that she had found the experience to be uplifting to receive such positive feedback.


The Chair thanked all those present for their contribution.


Councillor Mrs Collop commented that she had handed out hard copies of the questionnaire in the Reffley area and had received very responsive feedback.  Councillor Mrs Collop asked when the outcome of the funding would be announced.  In response, the Assistant Director, Health, Wellbeing and Public Protection explained that he would advise the Committee of the announcement when made.


Councillor Bearshaw asked if the application was successful was there a time limit to spend the funding.


The Chair referred to the previous review of play areas which had been undertaken by the working group who had produced a written report and it was a valid reason for undertaking a further review in the Spring.  A copy of the working group’s report was available.


AGREED:  1) That the update report be noted.


2) The Play Area Working Group to undertake a further review of play areas in the Spring.



Committee's Work Programme and Cabinet's Forward Decision List pdf icon PDF 184 KB

The Committee is asked to consider items for a future Work Programme for


The Committee is also asked to consider the Cabinet’s Forward Decision List.

Additional documents:


Click here to view a recording of this item on You Tube


The Committee noted the Cabinet’s Forward Decision List and Committee Work Programme.


The following item was proposed for the January meeting:


·         Shared Prosperity Fund (was there an opportunity for KLACC to apply to the fund).



Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Committee is scheduled for Monday 29 January 2024 at 6pm in the Council Chamber, Town Hall.


The next meeting of the Committee was scheduled for Monday 29 January 2024 at 6 pm in the Council Chamber, Town Hall, King’s Lynn.