Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Remote Meeting on Zoom and available for the public to view on WestNorfolkBC on You Tube - Zoom and You Tube. View directions

Contact: Rebecca Parker 01553 616632 

Link: View Live Stream

Media

Items
No. Item

EC175:

Welcome and Introduction

Minutes:

The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting and informed them that the meeting was being streamed live on You Tube.


To watch the recording of the meeting click here.

EC176:

Apologies for absence

To receive any apologies for absence.

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillors S Squire, J Kirk and M Wilkinson.

EC177:

Minutes pdf icon PDF 276 KB

To approve the minutes of the previous meeting.

Minutes:

RESOLVED: The Minutes from the previous meeting were agreed as a correct record.

EC178:

Declarations of interest

Please indicate if there are any interests which should be declared.  A declaration of an interest should indicate the nature of the interest (if not already declared on the Register of Interests) and the agenda item to which it relates.  If a disclosable pecuniary interest is declared, the Member should withdraw from the room whilst the matter is discussed.

 

Those declarations apply to all Members present, whether the Member is part of the meeting, attending to speak as a local Member on an item or simply observing the meeting from the public seating area.

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

EC179:

Urgent Business

To consider any business which, by reason of special circumstances, the Chair proposed to accept as urgent under Section 100(b)(4)(b) of the Local Government Act, 1972.

Minutes:

There was none.

EC180:

Members Present Pursuant to Standing Order 34

Members wishing to speak pursuant to Standing Order 34 should inform the Chair of their intention to do so and what items they wish to be heard before a decision on that item is taken.  

 

Minutes:

Councillors Blunt and Holmes.

EC181:

Chair's Correspondence

If any.

Minutes:

There was none.

EC182:

Fens Biosphere pdf icon PDF 301 KB

To consider the report and make any appropriate recommendations to Cabinet.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Click here to view the recording of this item on You Tube.

 

The Principal Planner, Policy and Water Management Officer presented the report.

 

The Chair thanked the officer for his report and invited questions and comments from the Panel, as summarised below.

 

Councillor Rust stated that this supported the work of Informal Working Groups, Portfolio Holders and was good for climate change.  She asked if there would be the potential to extend the protected area under this initiative and the Principal Planner Policy and Water Management Officer provided detail of the other areas in the Borough that had protected statuses.

 

In response to questions from Councillor Bambridge regarding sustainable housing and resilience building it was explained that ways of achieving this could be looked at as part of the project.

 

In response to a question from Councillor de Whalley it was explained that proposals would develop once the Council had indicated its support to the project and it moved forward.  He explained that things such as silt fens could be looked at by the Steering Group.

 

Councillor Kemp asked if there would be the potential to extend the designated area further along the Ouse.  It was explained that the Steering Group were looking at the designated area and extending it to incorporate more of the Ouse was one of the things that had been highlighted.

 

Councillor Devereux referred to resilience and explained that there was a broad scope of projects looking at the Fens and this was something that the Environment and Community Panel could potentially be briefed on in the future.

 

The Portfolio Holder for Culture, Heritage and Health highlighted the added benefits of the proposed designation in relation to leisure and tourism and work that could be carried out with schools.

 

Councillor Bullen stated that he hoped that residents would be engaged in activities and that wildlife should be core of the project.

 

In response to questions from Councillor Bubb it was confirmed that this designation would have no impact on planning powers and there was no intention of any powers or control being taken away.

 

Councillor Holmes addressed the Panel under Standing Order 34 and hoped that the project would be publicised and give schools the opportunity to become involved.

 

Councillor Kunes, Portfolio Holder for Climate Change highlighted the importance of the Fens and agriculture and hoped that no arable land would be lost to re-flood the Fens.

 

Councillor Blunt addressed the Panel under Standing Order 34 and asked if other Local Authorities had signed up to the project.  It was explained that there had been progress with other relevant authorities that were now taking the proposals forward for consideration and a Steering Group meeting would be held shortly to update on progress.  The Environment and Community Panel could be kept up to date on progress.

 

Councillor de Whalley made reference to sustainability and recreating fenland.  He asked what UNESCO’s main aims were and referred to a report published by Natural England.  The Principal Planner and Water  ...  view the full minutes text for item EC182:

EC183:

Work Programme and Forward Decision List pdf icon PDF 132 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Click here to view the recording of this item on You Tube.

 

The following items were raised for consideration in the future:

 

-       Markets

-       Anti-littering and prevention of Fly Tipping

-       Review of littering policies.

 

RESOLVED: The Panel’s Work Programme was noted.

EC184:

Arrangements for Cabinet Members Questions at future meetings

To consider arrangements for Cabinet Members questions at Panel meetings going forward.

Minutes:

Click here to view the recording of this item on You Tube.

 

The Chair explained that at a previous Cabinet meeting it had been suggested that Cabinet Members be invited to Panel meetings for question and answer sessions.

 

The Panel discussed the possible arrangements for this.

 

RESOLVED: That Cabinet Members question and answer sessions be added to the Agenda as a standing item and that the relevant Cabinet Members be invited to attend Panel meetings as appropriate.

EC185:

Date of the next meeting

To note that the next meeting of the Environment and Community Panel is scheduled to take place on 9th June 2021.

Minutes:

The next meeting of the Environment and Community Panel would be held on 9th June 2021.

EC186:

Exclusion of Press and Public

To consider passing the following resolution:

 

“That under Section 100(A)(4) of the Local Government Act, 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following item of business on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraph 3 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A to the Act”.

Minutes:

Click here to view the recording of this item on You Tube.

 

RESOLVED: That under Section 100 (A)(f) of the Local Government Act, 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following item of business on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraph 3 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A to the Act.

EC187:

Food Waste Contract

To consider the report and make any appropriate recommendations to Cabinet.

Minutes:

The Waste and Recycling Manager presented the report and responded to questions from the Panel.

 

RESOLVED: That the Environment and Community Panel support the recommendations to Cabinet as set out in the report.