Agenda and minutes

Venue: Committee Suite, King's Court, Chapel Street, King's Lynn. View directions

Contact: Rebecca Parker, 01553 616632, Email: 

No. Item


Apologies for Absence

To note any apologies for absence.


Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Lawrence, Allison Bingham, Tess Gilder and Helen Sismore.


Minutes from the previous meeting pdf icon PDF 78 KB

To confirm as a correct record the minutes from the previous meeting.


AGREED: The minutes from the previous meeting were agreed as a correct record.


Matters Arising and not covered elsewhere on the agenda


(i) Respite Care in Norfolk


The Secretary reminded those present that at the previous meeting they had asked if there was a composite list of respite care available in Norfolk.


The Secretary confirmed that information was available at



Bus Station works update

Laura Hampshire, Regeneration Project Officer will provide the Forum with an update.


The Regeneration Project Officer was present at the meeting and provided a response to the comments made by the Forum following their visit to the bus station:


·         The works were substantially complete and a review of the project would be carried out.

·         Additional signage had now been erected.

·         The Regeneration Project Officer explained that the taxi rank sign was not flush to the wall of the car park and instead it stuck out so that it was visible from Albion Street and the Museum.

·         One of the aims of the project was to declutter the area, following responses made via the public consultation the amount of street furniture had been investigated.

·         The Regeneration Project Officer was in contact with the supplier of the notice boards which were currently leaking and the issue would be rectified.

·         The real time information which was displayed on the screens was dependent on information being passed from the bus operators to Norfolk County Council.  Work was ongoing to encourage bus operators to submit information to be displayed.

·         The Regeneration Project Officer reminded those present that they had raised issues regarding a bottleneck at the entrance to Sainsburys car park.  The Regeneration Project Officer commented that this had not been reported before, so if the Forum were aware of any particular times when there were issues to let her know so that she could investigate and check CCTV if required.  The Bus Station Officer was also working to discourage people from smoking in the area.

·         In response to a question from Genene Henshaw, the Regeneration Project Officer explained that there was currently one Bus Station Officer, but a second Officer had now been recruited.  The purpose of the role was to be out and about in the bus station assisting customers and enforcing the no smoking and no cycling rules.  Feedback from passengers was that some would prefer the Officer to remain in the information office so they knew where to find him and some would prefer him to be out and about in the area.  It was suggested that a pager mechanism be placed in the information office, so that if a member of the public was unable to find the Bus Station Officer they could page him back to the office.  The Regeneration Project Officer agreed to investigate.

·         Councillor Mrs Fraser commented that she still felt the bus station was an intimidating place, especially in the car park.  She commented that there were often groups of people congregated in the car park area.  The Regeneration Project Officer explained that CCTV had been upgraded in the area and whilst she acknowledged that this did not prevent anti-social behaviour, the CCTV team had a direct line through to the Police to report any incidents.  The Regeneration Project Officer explained that two types of CCTV coverage were available; static cameras and point, tilt and zoom cameras.  In response to a question from June Leamon, the Regeneration Project Officer explained that the Police did patrol the Bus Station  ...  view the full minutes text for item 19.


Feedback from the Assistive Technology Event


The Secretary passed on the following information which had been provided by Allison Bingham.


Three exhibitors did not turn up to the event.  Those that did (Care and Repair, Handyman Service, Norfolk and Norwich Association for the Blind, Age UK Norfolk, King’s Lynn Mobility, N-Able and Remap) provided good feedback and said that they had time to spend with each of the visitors to the stand rather than rush them through.  There were no large posters outside the Corn Exchange to show that the event was on, and it was felt that this could have drawn in some more members of the public.


The Forum discussed how the event could be improved if it was to go ahead in the future.  They agreed that publicity was important and in the future a Working Group could be appointed to take forward the arrangements for the event.


AGREED: That Allison Bingham present proposals to a future meeting, on future events, including cost, possible venues and review the success of past events.


Review of the Constitution pdf icon PDF 90 KB

To discuss the proposed changes and agree the Constitution.


The draft amended Constitution was presented to the Forum for comments. 


The Secretary explained that she would present the Constitution to the Borough Council’s Environment and Community Panel for approval.


AGREED: The amended Constitution was agreed by the Forum.


Secretary's Correspondence


(i) Opportunity Awards 2016


The Secretary had received correspondence from Allison Bingham regarding the 2016 Opportunity Awards.


A provisional date had been set as 22nd June 2016 at 6.15pm in the Town Hall.  The Forum was provided with proof art work for the event.


Allison Bingham had asked for volunteers to take forward arrangements for the events.


AGREED: (i) That the following members serve on the Opportunity Awards Working Group:


Allison Bingham

Councillor Bubb

Councillor Mrs Fraser

Pat French

The Mayoress.


(ii) That the Forum be kept updated on progress with arrangements for the event.



Work Programme pdf icon PDF 49 KB

To consider the attached Work Programme.


The Forum considered their work programme and discussed issues relating to disabled access to public buildings.  The Secretary agreed to invite a representative from Building Control to a future meeting to provide information to the Forum.


Any other Business


(i) Representation on the Forum


Councillor Mrs Fraser informed those present that she knew someone who was interested in being involved in the Forum.  The Secretary informed those present that the Forum was a public meeting and open to all.  The amended Constitution allowed for ten representatives to sit on the Forum and these would be appointed at a future meeting.  The Secretary agreed to liaise with Councillor Mrs Fraser to invite them to the next meeting of the Forum.


(ii) Alive Leisure – Toning Tables


Pat French informed those present that one of the toning table at Lynnsport had stopped working and had not been replaced.  She had been advised by Lynnsport staff that the toning tables would not be replaced when they had come to the end of their life span.


The Secretary agreed to contact a representative from Alive Leisure and ask them to provide information to the Forum.


(iii) West Norfolk Older Persons Forum


June Leamon informed those present that she was a representative on the above Forum and they had a programme of events, which she would forward to the Secretary to circulate to the Forum.


(iv) Baker Lane Car Park Public Toilets


The Chairman explained that he had recently reported issues on behalf of a member of the public regarding the state of the disabled toilet at Baker Lane Car Park.  He explained that repairs had now been made.


He reminded those present that if Members of the Forum were not having luck getting action taken that they could contact him and he would raise the issue with the relevant officers at the Council.


(v) Promotion of the Forum


The Forum discussed how it could promote itself.  It was suggested that a newsletter be provided following each meeting which could include information from the minutes and contributions from Members of the Forum.


The Secretary agreed to put together the newsletter and contributions from the Forum were requested no later than 30th October 2015.


Date of the next Meeting


The next meeting of the West Norfolk Disability Forum was scheduled to take place on Wednesday 20th January 2016 at 2.30pm in the Committee Suite, King’s Court, Chapel Street, King’s Lynn, Norfolk.