Agenda and minutes

Venue: Committee Suite, King's Court, Chapel Street, King's Lynn. View directions

No. Item


Appointment of Chairman


AGREED: Councillor Tony Bubb was appointed as Chairman to the Forum for 2015-2016.


Appointment of Vice Chairman


AGREED: Pat French was appointed as Vice Chairman of the Forum for 2015-2016.


Apologies for absence


Apologies for absence were received from:


Tess Gilder                  -           Park House Hotel

Councillor Lawrence   -           Borough Council

Gemma Liczbinski      -           Norfolk County Council

Pippa May                   -           West Norfolk Befriending




AGREED: The Minutes from the West Norfolk Disability Forum Annual General Meeting held on 2 July 2014 were agreed as a correct record.


Matters Arising and not covered elsewhere on the agenda


(i) Michael Langwade


The Chairman reported that Michael Langwade, who had previously been a Member of the Forum had sadly passed away.


(ii) Respite Care


The Chairman asked if any Members of the Forum were aware of a composite list of Respite Care available in West Norfolk.


Pat French explained that Social Services did have a list of nursing homes, which often also offered respite cars.


The Secretary to investigate if a composite list was available and report back to the Forum.


Annual Report for 2014/2015


The Secretary presented the Forum’s Annual Report for 2014/2015 which had been circulated with the agenda.


The Chairman reminded those present that the Forum had conducted previous visits to the Railway Station during recent refurbishment works.  The Chairman suggested that another visit be conducted prior to the next meeting of the Forum to address any outstanding issues.


Councillor Bambridge commented that there was a slight step into the waiting room at the Railway Station which she felt was not clearly marked.  The Chairman commented that there was a similar step on the entrance to the Corn Exchange.  Allison Bingham agreed to investigate and report back to the Forum.


Helen Sismore queried if the Forum conducted accessibility audits.  Allison Bingham commented that the Forum had conducted visits, upon request, to places in the past and then provided suggested actions on areas for improvement.


Allison Bingham informed those present that the Forum had been consulted on the proposals for the refurbishment of the bus station and the Forum had visited the Railway Station prior to and during recent refurbishment works.


The Secretary agreed to invite the officers involved in the refurbishment of the bus station to a future meeting of the Forum.


AGREED: The Forum’s Annual Report was approved.


Adult Care Development Workers


Unfortunately representatives from Norfolk County Council were now unable to attend the meeting so the item had been deferred.


Review of the Constitution and the Future of the West Norfolk Disability Forum


The Forum discussed the Constitution and it was suggested that a Working Group be created to look at refreshing the Forum’s Constitution.


The Secretary agreed to arrange a meeting of the Working Group so that a review could be conducted and report back to the next meeting of the Forum.


All Members of the Forum were invited to make comments on the Constitution by emailing before 25th August 2015.


AGREED: That the following Members of the Forum meet to conduct a review of the Constitution and present proposals to the next meeting of the Forum:


Councillor Fraser

Councillor Squire

Jim Cambridge

Helen Sismore

Allison Bingham

Rebecca Parker


Assistive Technology Event


Allison Bingham informed those present that she had arranged an Assistive Technology Event to take place in the Corn Exchange on Monday 14 September 2015 from 10.00am.  The event would have a range of equipment which could help people in the home.


Allison Bingham explained that invitations to have a stand at the event had been sent out, but if Members of the Forum had any other suggestions on organisations who could be interested in having a stand they were to contact her.


The event would be publicised in the Local media and information would be sent to Parish Councils. 


A supply of leaflets and posters was available from Allison Bingham.


The Chairman suggested that ways to promote the Forum and increase attendance should be considered during the Assistive Technology event.




Allison Bingham provided those present with information on the Forums budget.  She explained that the budget was used to promote events, and hold meetings of the Forum. 


Secretary's Correspondence


The Secretary reminded those present that at a previous meeting the Forum had asked her to investigate the bus stop markings at the bus stop near the Woolpack as representatives from the bus operators had made comments that the size of the stop was not big enough for their buses, meaning that often they could not pull up flush with the pavement.


The Secretary had raised the issue with Norfolk County Council Highways who had responded that the issue had been discussed with their Infrastructure Manager and had been added to the longlist of sites for future amendments.  Unfortunately a timescale for the works was unknown at this time.


Work Programme


Those present suggested that the following items be added onto the Forum’s Work Programme:


·         Visit to the refurbished Bus Station and invite representatives from the Regeneration Team to the next meeting of the Forum.

·         Update on works to the Town Hall



Schedule of Future Meetings


AGREED: The Forum’s schedule of future meetings was agreed as follows:


7th October 2015 at 2.30pm

20th January 2016 at 2.30pm

20th April 2016 at 2.30pm

27th July 2016 at 2.30pm – Annual General Meeting


All meetings to take place in the Committee Suite, King’s Court, Chapel Street, King’s Lynn.


Any other Business


(i) Community Transport buses


Pat French explained that the Community Transport buses were now bigger than the spaces allotted to them at the Multi Storey Car Park and the drop of point at the Bus Station.  Allison Bingham agreed to investigate.


Date of the Next Meeting


The next meeting of the West Norfolk Disability Forum would take place on Wednesday 7th October 2015 at 2.30pm in the Committee Suite, King’s Court, Chapel Street, King’s Lynn.


A visit to the bus station has been arranged for the Forum on Wednesday 2nd September 2015 at 4.00pm.  Those wanting to attend are to meet at the bus station entrance.