Venue: Council Chamber, Town Hall, Saturday Market Place, King's Lynn PE30 5DQ. View directions
Contact: Wendy Vincent
Appointment of Chairman for the Municipal Year 2018 - 2019
The Chairman shall be a member of the Borough Council of King’s Lynn and West Norfolk and shall be elected by the King’s Lynn and West Norfolk Area Museums Committee at its annual meeting and shall be the first meeting of the Committee held after the annual meeting of King’s Lynn and West Norfolk Borough Council held in May each year.
RESOLVED: That Councillor Mrs Nockolds be appointed Chairman for the Municipal Year 2018 – 2019.
Appointment of Vice-Chairman for the Municipal Year 2018 - 2019
The Vice-Chairman shall be a member of Norfolk County Council and shall be elected by the King’s Lynn and West Norfolk Area Museums Committee at its annual meeting and shall be the first meeting of the Committee held after the annual meeting of King’s Lynn and West Norfolk Borough Council held in May each year.
RESOLVED: That County Councillor Humphrey be appointed Vice-Chairman for the Municipal Year 2018 – 2019.
Apologies for Absence
To receive any apologies for absence.
Apologies for absence were received from Councillor A Bubb, R Hanley, S Miller and O Bone
The Minutes from the meeting held on 19 March 2018 were agreed as a correct record, subject to the following amendment:
· Page 7: Friends of the Museum: 1st bullet point – to read: “Friends of the Museum had recently purchased a badge making machine and two Anglo Saxon coins.”
To consider any matters arising.
Tour of Hardwick Cemetery – 23 April 2018
It was reported that the tour had been well received and had attracted 20+ attendees.
Declarations of Interest
Please indicate if there are any interests which should be declared. A declaration of interest should indicate the nature of the interest (if not already declared on the Register of Interests) and the agenda item to which it relates. If a disclosable pecuniary interest is declared, the Member should withdraw from the room whilst the matter is discussed.
These declarations apply to all Members present, whether the Member is part of the meeting, attending to speak as a local Member on an item or simply observing the meeting from the public seating area.
There were no declarations of interest.
Presentation from the Learning and Engagement Officer - Stories of Lynn
The Committee received a presentation from the Learning and Engagement Officer.
A briefing note was also circulated to Members of the Committee for information.
The Learning and Engagement Officer responded to questions relating to:
· The Schools Programme.
· Future ideas for potential sessions – King’s Lynn used as location for a number of TV programmes/film shoots.
· Encouraging school visits to the Museum.
· Importance of the learning and Engagement Officer role.
· Work involving schools relating to the World War 1 project.
· Learning programmes to encompass cross curriculum activities, for example, mathematics, reading and writing.
· Contact with the following schools located in Wells, Fakenham, Litcham, Swaffham, Houghton and Harpley.
The Chairman, Councillor Nockolds thanked the Learning and Engagement Officer for attending the meeting and providing Members with an overview of the work undertaken with schools.
To consider the King’s Lynn Museum Report.
The Committee received the report from the Operations Manager – West which provided information on King’s Lynn activities in the period from March 2018 to April 2018.
The visitor numbers were tabled and discussed. The Committee was informed that the visitor numbers spreadsheet would be updated by the Norfolk Museums Service with regards to the years covered by this part of the report.
The Operations Manager – West responded to questions relating to:
· Categories of shoes discovered in the Medieval period.
· Evidence of examples of shoe manufacturers in the Medieval period being located near the current Marks and Spencer store, King’s Lynn.
· Early shoe collections held by the Norfolk Museums Service.
· Types of shoes worn throughout the history according to the natural and working environment.
· Number of Baines paintings in storage at Aickman’s Yard. AGREED: H Jackson to confirm number of paints to the Area Museums Committee.
· Remaining Baines paintings located abroad.
· Ceremonial trowel from King’s Lynn Railway Station. AGREED: H Jackson to confirm date of ceremonial trowel.
· Training/co-working opportunities for apprentices from the Learning Officer.
· Visitor numbers at the Lynn Museum.
The Committee received an update from S Thompson, Friends of the Museum. The Committee was informed that an application was being submitted for Heritage Lottery funds to erect a headstone marking Henry Baines grave at Hardwick Road Cemetery. AGREED: S Thompson to keep Committee informed of progress.
S Thompson responded to questions relating to:
· Thomas Baines – location of body in South Africa. Monument erected in church to mark his grave.
· Demolition of Chapels at Hardwick Cemetery in the 1970’s.
· Young Friends membership and the best methods of engaging with this audience.
· Friends of the Museum Annual Event – 10 December 2018, theme to be determined.
· Autumn talk 26 September 2018 – Dr Jodie Joy from Cambridge University who will give a talk on the Iron Age/Snettisham hoard.
The Chairman, Councillor Mrs Nockolds thanked the Operations Manager – West and the Chairman of the Friends of King’s Lynn Museum for their attendance.
Date of Next Meeting
To note the date of the next meeting is 3 September 2018, 2.15 pm, Lynn Museum, Market Street, King’s Lynn.
The next meeting of the King’s Lynn and West Norfolk Area Museums Committee will be held on Monday 3 September 2018 at 2.15 pm in the Lynn Museum, Market Street, King’s Lynn.