Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Education Room - Town Hall, Saturday Market Place, King's Lynn PE30 5DQ. View directions

Contact: Kathy Wagg 

Items
No. Item

1.

Apologies for Absence

To receive any apologies for absence.

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillors C Joyce, T Smith and B Long (Portfolio Holder).

2.

Minutes of Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 97 KB

To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the previous meeting.

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 15 January 2018 were agreed as a correct record.

3.

Declarations of Interest

Please indicate if there are any interests which should be declared.  A declaration of an interest should indicate the nature of the interest (if not already declared on the Register of Interests) and the agenda item to which it relates.  If a disclosable pecuniary interest is declared, the Member should withdraw from the room whilst the matter is discussed.

 

These declarations apply to all Members present, whether the Member is part of the meeting, attending to speak as a local Member on an item or simply observing the meeting from the public seating area.

 

 

 

Minutes:

Councillor Tyler declared that in relation to item 8, he was the secretary of the Fen Line Users Association.  He explained that the Association did work with the Borough Council, County Council, local businesses and other stakeholders to encourage the continuing improvement of our important rail service.

4.

Urgent Business

To consider any business which, by reason of special circumstances, the Chairman proposes to accept as urgent under Section 100(b)(4)(b) of the Local Government Act, 1972.

 

 

Minutes:

There was no urgent business.

5.

Members Present Pursuant to Standing Order 34

Members wishing to speak pursuant to Standing Order 34 should inform the Chairman of their intention to do so and on what items they wish to be heard before the meeting commences.  Any Member attending the meeting under Standing Order 34 will only be permitted to speak on those items which have been previously notified to the Chairman.

 

 

Minutes:

There were no Members present pursuant to Standing Order 34.

6.

Chairman's Correspondence (if any)

Minutes:

The Chairman referred to the letter, which had been emailed to the Committee from Norfolk County Council, advising that the Parish Partnership bid for two SAM signs had been successful.

 

He also reminded the Committee that Members still had time to make comments on the Tree Strategy document which had been sent to them.  Comments should be made to Richard Fisher by 1 April 2018.

7.

Policing in King's Lynn - 6 monthly update

Acting Inspector Askham will provide the Committee with an update in respect of Policing in King’s Lynn.

Minutes:

The Chairman welcomed Inspector Askham to the Committee.

 

Inspector Askham outlined the crime figures for King’s Lynn from September 2017 to the end of February 2018.  The figures also included figures for September 2016 to the end of February 2017 for comparison.

 

Overall, there had been a slight increase for the district but this was not an alarming amount.

 

The Committee was then invited to ask questions/make comments, which were answered by Inspector Askham.

 

Inspector Askham informed the Committee of the priorities for the Police, which remained areas of harm, public order offences and youth anti-social behaviour, in particular at the bus station.  It was hoped that with the re-opening of the Discovery Centre, this would help with the problem.

 

Inspector Askham explained that the Police would continue to monitor crime trends and put resources into where crimes were taking place.

 

The issue of bicycle theft was raised and it was explained that the Police did regularly carry out property marking and were as proactive in this respect as they could be.  It was explained that the Police could get involved if a stolen bicycle was seen on social media.

 

In relation to the re-opening of the Discovery Centre, Councillor Middleton gave an update to the Committee.  He explained that all partners needed to continue to put some investment into the Discovery Centre to ensure that it would continue to operate in the future.

 

The Chairman stated that everyone round the table acknowledged the work which had been undertaken to get the Discovery Centre to where it was today and wished it a successful future.

 

Inspector Askham concluded that overall it had been a good six months in relation to crime in King’s Lynn, however this had been offset against the difficult news in relation to PSCO’s.  The new structure was explained to the Committee.

 

The Chairman thanked Inspector Askham for attending the meeting and giving the update to the Committee.  He added that people did appreciate what the Police did in very difficult circumstances.

8.

Update on the Rail Service pdf icon PDF 638 KB

Peter Jermany will give a presentation to the Committee on the rail service.

Minutes:

Peter Jermany, Principal Planner (Planning Policy) gave a rail service update to the Committee, a copy of which is attached to the minutes.


The presentation covered:

 

Current Issues

        8 car train project

        Consultation responses on timetable changes, East Coast Main Line Route Study

 

Future Plans/Priorities

        Ely Area improvements

        Redoubling of the single track

 

The Chairman stated that the Borough Council, Fen Line Users Group, BID and other organisations needed to speak with one voice to ensure that the programme of works was not slipped again.

 

The Chairman added that the King’s Lynn and Cambridge area was often mentioned as one the worst areas for capacity issues.

 

Councillor Howman asked whether the track line from King’s Lynn to Hunstanton was preserved.  The Principal Planner (Planning Policy) explained that the former track bed was protected as part of the Local Plan.   He added that Norfolk County Council were carrying out a study to look at the route as a footpath/cyclepath route.  He was also aware of a local proposal for the route.  However, there were interruptions to the track bed.

 

In response to whether the Borough had taken a stance one way or another as to any proposals for the former track bed, the Principal Planner (Planning Policy) responded that there was no preference, however a need had been identified within the Green Infrastructure Plan for a cycleway in that area.

 

The Principal Planner (Planning Policy) explained that any works to reinstate the line would be extremely expensive to undertake and referred to the cost of the road at Lynnsport as an example.

 

The Principal Planner (Planning Policy) added that Norfolk County Council had agreed to carry out three feasibility studies with one being a long distance footpath/cyclepath route.

 

The Chairman thanked Peter for the presentation and added that it was an important service with a lot of room for improvement.

9.

Parish Partnership Scheme

The Assistant Director will provide the Committee with an update in relation to the Parish Partnership Scheme.

Minutes:

The Assistant Director advised the Committee that consideration needed to be given to the next round of bids for the Parish Partnership Scheme, and in particular how the Committee wished to take this forward.

 

It was agreed to send background information regarding Parish Partnership Schemes to the Committee.

 

The Committee agreed that this should be an agenda item for the next meeting and it was also asked whether any budget information and the possible effect on Special Expenses could be provided.  It was explained that this would be covered at the Special Expenses meeting scheduled for 29 October 2018.

 

AGREED:       That, the Parish Partnership Scheme be an agenda item for the next meeting.

10.

Committee's Work Programme and Cabinet's Forward Decision List pdf icon PDF 61 KB

The Committee is asked to consider items for a future Work Programme for

 

The Committee is also asked to consider the Cabinet’s Forward Decision List.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee noted the Work Programme and Cabinet’s Forward Decision List.

11.

Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, 19 June 2018 at 6.00pm in the Council Chamber, Town Hall.

Minutes:

The next meeting of the Committee was scheduled to take place on Tuesday, 19th June 2018 at 6pm in the Council Chamber, Town Hall, King’s Lynn.