Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
RESOLVED:1) That the council continue to prohibit the mass release of balloons and sky lanterns on council land and beaches through terms and conditions of hire.
2) That the Council continue to discourage any mass release of balloons and sky lanterns through funding or officer time.
3) That the use of flying rings on council beaches be prohibited and their use be proactively discouraged in other areas where there is a chance they could end up in the sea.
4) That the Norfolk County Council Balloon and Sky Lantern Charter be signed up to.
opportunities be used to promote these practices and encourage
environmentally friendly alternatives, some of which can be found
on the RSPCA website
Eco-Friendly Alternatives to Balloon Releases &
Sky Lanterns | RSPCA.
6) That it be acknowledged that the extent of the powers available currently are to warn, inform and engage with land users in the hope that they comply, currently there are no associated resource to patrol the affected areas nor powers to penalise anyone failing to comply.
7) That all parish councils within the borough be encouraged to adopt this approach for areas within their ownership.
Reason for Decision
The recommendations enable the council to raise awareness of balloons, sky Lantern and flying ring releases as an avoidable animal welfare, financial and safety issue, and prevent release on Council land.
Publication date: 17/11/2022
Date of decision: 15/11/2022
Decided at meeting: 15/11/2022 - Cabinet