Agenda and minutes

Venue: Council Chamber, Town Hall, Saturday Market Place, King's Lynn PE30 5DQ. View directions

Contact: Wendy Vincent, Democratic Services Officer, 01553 61377, Email: 

No. Item




Apologies were received from Councillor Mrs Watson.


Notes of the Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 78 KB


The notes of the previous meeting were agreed as a correct record.


Matters Arising


There was none.


Declarations of Interest

Please indicate if there are any interests which should be declared.  A declaration of an interest should indicate the nature of the interest (if not already declared on the Register of Interests) and the agenda item to which it relates.  If a disclosable pecuniary interest is declared, the Members should withdraw from the room whilst the matter is discussed.


These declarations apply to all Members present, whether the Member is part of the meeting, attending to speak as a local Member on an item or simply observing the meeting.


There was none.


Urgent Business

To consider any business which, by reason of special circumstances, the Chairman proposes to accept as urgent under Section 100(b)(4)(b) of the Local Government Act, 1972.


There was none.


Members Present Pursuant to Standing Order 34

Members wishing to speak pursuant to Standing Order 34 should inform the Chairman of their intention to do so and on what items they wish to be heard before the meeting commences.  Any Member attending the meeting under Standing Order 34 will only be permitted to speak on those items which have been previously notified to the Chairman.


There was none.


Chairman's Correspondence (if any)


There was none.


Norfolk and Suffolk Coastal Authorities Statement of Common Ground - P Jermany pdf icon PDF 76 KB


The Principal Planner, Policy, presented the report which had been circulated with the agenda and set out how the Statement of Common Ground had been developed and how it would be used.  He explained that the Statement would be presented to the Norfolk Strategic Planning Member Forum for endorsement and then would be included in the Norfolk Strategic Planning Framework.  He explained that the aim of the document was to comply with the duty to cooperate, agree shared aims for the coast, develop a shared evidence base and recognise cross boundary issues in relation to coastal management.


The Principal Planner, Policy referred to the draft Statement of Common Ground for Coastal Zone Planning which had been appended to the report.  It set out the purpose of the document, the shared aims and the agreed approach.


The Task Group was informed that the document would need to be endorsed by the relevant portfolio holders from each of the relevant local authorities.


The Chairman thanked the Principal Planner for his report and invited questions and comments, as summarised below.


The Chairman referred to Policy DM18 and asked if there was a similar policy in any other coastal zones.  It was explained that some had an integrated approach or had similar policies.  It depended on the intensity of coastal erosion and what action was required in specific areas.  DM18 was a key policy and would go forward into the next Local Plan.


The Task Group also discussed the councils approach to coastal erosion and flooding and it was explained that the council had the emerging Hunstanton Coastal Management Plan and the Wash East Coast Management Strategy in place.  The council’s current approach was to maintain the existing defences.  In the future additional action may be required such as relocation.


Comments were made regarding development on the coast and occupancy restrictions.  Queries were raised as to if other local authorities encountered problems with varying occupancy restrictions.  The LDF Manager explained that this issue could be raised at the Norfolk Strategic Planning Member Forum.


In response to a question it was confirmed that although the AONB and fisheries were not specifically mentioned in the document, it did refer to the natural environment.  The Task Group were reminded that this document was for local authority planning processes and the local plan development.


AGREED: The presentation on Coastal Zone Planning, which was being presented to the Norfolk Strategic Planning Member Forum, be circulated to the Task Group once available.




Update on Neighbourhood Plans


The Senior Planner provided an update on Neighbourhood Plans as set out below:


(i) Snettisham


·        The draft plan had been out for consultation. 

·        Comments had been received from a variety of sources. 

·        Comments had also been made by the Borough Council regarding how the plan conformed with planning policy.

·        The comments would be sent to the appointed Examiner for their consideration as part of the examination process.

·        The Task Group was informed that the examiner could recommend to the borough council that the plan could proceed to referendum as is, could proceed with amendments which they are likely to suggest, or the plan fails.


(ii) Terrington St John


·        In the early stages.

·        First draft had been produced.

·        They were now focussing on a few key issues.

·        They would not be making an allocation within the Neighbourhood Plan as such, but would be seeking to amend their development boundary to accommodate further housing growth.


(iii) Old Hunstanton


·        Had decided that they would be producing a Neighbourhood Plan and were seeking to take arrangements forward.


(iv) Locality Funding


·        It was explained that this funding, from the Government, had been extended for neighbourhood plan groups.

·        There were criteria that had to be met and there were deadlines associated to when the funds had to be spent by.

·        Information was available on the Locality Funding website.

·        The Task Group was reminded that Neighbourhood Plans were voluntary to do and update.


The Task Group also discussed the following:


·        The housing need and Neighbourhood Plans which were allocating sites.

·        Neighbourhood Plans needed to support sustainable development and should not include policies which prevented growth.

·        Car parking at Downham Market railway station.

·        An example of how car parking could be incorporated with development, for example at Burnham Market.


Local Plan - Progress Update - A Gomm


The Task Group received an update on progress with the Local Plan.  Information was provided on the following:


·        Timetable.

·        NPPF changes.

·        Housing need and affordable housing.

·        Site selection process.

·        SADMP Allocation Review.

·        Allocated sites which were unlikely to come forward.

·        Mechanisms for de-allocation.

·        Items to be considered by the Task Group in the future.


The Task Group discussed how they would approach the site selection process.  The Senior Planner provided examples of how he could present information, which would include maps, sustainability appraisal, flood risk information, appraisal and conclusion.


AGREED: 1. The Task Group agreed to start to look at site selections and agreed to arrange to meet to start the process as soon as possible.  The first site analysis trial would take place on Thursday 26 July.  Final details to confirmed

2. The Task Group agreed with the officers recommended approach and how the information would be presented.

3. Officers to arrange a meeting of the Local Plan Task Group Members to start looking at sites and the Senior Planner to send through the relevant information to Task Group Members before the meeting.


Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Task Group will take place on Wednesday 15 August 2018 at 10 am in the Council Chamber, Town Hall, Saturday Market Place, King’s Lynn.


The next meeting of the Task Group would take place on Wednesday 15 August 2018 at 10.00am in the Council Chamber, Town Hall, Saturday Market Place, King’s Lynn.


Members of the Task Group would also be invited to a meeting to start to look at the site allocation process.


Councillor Sandell offered her apologies for the 15 August meeting.